Re: A Process to Suit the Subject

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 02/13/02-03:32:01 PM Z

Hi John,
I came across your post (I'm a day behind) at the end of a long day of
printing (in gum, of course) a series of studies of storm surf breaking
against cliffs and rocks. It occurs to me that your clouds would have
much the same tonal quality as the breaking waves -- white white with
subtle shading in the whites to create volume. I hate to keep bending
your arm if you don't want to print gum, but I assure you, gum can do
this highlight shading beautifully, and is also very easy to control
once you understand it. (I do concede that it takes some practice to get
to that point of mastery, however.)

You ask: for what subjects is gum suitable or not suitable, in my
opinion? In my opinion, gum will print anything and everything
beautifully. Gum is so versatile you can adjust it to any printing
aesthetic or to any subject whatever.
Katharine