Re: A Process to Suit the Subject

Grafist@aol.com
Date: 02/14/02-07:48:30 AM Z

In a message dated 13/02/02 03:43:43 GMT Standard Time, cactus@tritel.net
writes:

> Gum, using pigments such as carbon black,
> indian red, burnt sienna, raw umber, etc.... is exceptionally well suited
> for rock art images. The rich earth tones available for use in gum
printing
> are such a good match for the actual subject ........
Hi Cactus, Many thanks for your enthusiastic reply which has got me quite
intrigued that you seem to be able to manage Gum to your desires while others
find it so problematical. One question:- what are the format dimensions of
your rock Gum prints? I feel I would need to go above 10" X 8" in order to
capture the nuances of the natural forms of nature....to bring out or
highten the designs.
Hi Catherine, Your work sounds to be very sensitive and subjects ideally
suited your use of Gum... you write, "Gum is so versatile you can adjust it
to any printing
aesthetic or to any subject whatever." This is a very attractive concept
for those new to alternatives to straight silver printing which is quite easy
to describe. Just follow the instructions on the box and you **might** get
acceptable results first time. It seems to me that the problem with Gum is
that you probably will not experience the same degree of encouragement. I
remember my very first attempt at contact printing 120 negatives on glossy
bromide. The bad results were magic, but it had worked as they said it would
and I could see what had to be adjusted to improve things. Trying to instruct
students in the use of Gum must be a labour of love.
          I am getting a little more interested. Thanks.
                                     John