Calotypes / Southeby's

ARTHURWG@aol.com
Date: 02/14/02-04:18:52 PM Z

I'm new to this list so I'm not sure what's appropriate to post. But anyone
in the greater vacinity of Southeby's New York with interests in early
French photography and the Calotypists should make a quick march to the
auction house at 72nd & York. On display are some of the finest early prints
that you are ever likely to see, including masterpieces by Negre, Baldus, La
Gray and Greene.
  The show features a 100 item preview of the upcoming two-part auction in
Paris March 21 & 22, of the collection of M-T. & A. Jammes. The pictures on
view are the cream of the crop and even includes some "mamouth" paper
negatives by Baldus and Negre. Some of the items, to be sold together, are
world famous pictures and the negatives from which they were made.
   Also on display and up for auction is THE VERY FIRST photography, by
Nicephore Niepce! If all that isn't enough, there's a very interesting and
rather large gouche landscape by Daguerre.
     The two catalogs from the auction are also pricesless and a must for
those in love with the "primitives," as I am. Go quickly to Southeby's
however. The show is only up through Feb. 18.

Arthur