Re: A Process to Suit the Subject

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/15/02-06:38:25 PM Z

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 Grafist@aol.com wrote:
> Hi Judy, We have a shop here called " The Early Learning Centre" for kids.
> They sell a range of powder pigment paints and also ready mixed paints in the
> primary colours plus black. I have tried most of these in my Direct Carbon
> experiments and eventually discarded them in favour of pure carbon black
> powder. But since Gum discussion keeps coming up I back tracked yesterday
> and coated a few pieces of sized paper with a mixture of 2% Ammonium
> Dichromate solution and a few squirts of "ready mix" black as I had realized
> for ages from the smell that it contained gum arabic. Could I call this a
> Gum process? Or, a variation of it? The brush strokes were streaky but I gave

Oh he's got it.... I really think he's got it !

> the sized paper a deep black total covering. The paper was adhered to plexi
> glass....I stick most papers on a temp support. This morning when the paper
> was completely dry gave it an exposure of fifteen minutes through my negative
> of the beach bum ( the one I sent you so long ago ). The results I got far
> exceeded my expectations after soaking and "developing" as I would with
> Direct Carbon. i.e. 10 minute cold. 10 minute @ 35 deg C. 10 minute cold.

Tell us ignorant 19th century folks... that's about 80 degrees F? And 40
is about 100, I suppose (since I think 38 is body temp. (I used to have a
themometer with both, digitons ate it.)

That *two percent* dichromate solution is amazing. Did you really do 2%?

Actually, Mike Ware said by his calculations that should be enough, but I
never had the nerve to try...

Incidentally, I remember that beach scene well... Had it out on the desk
for months. Can't say for sure where it's gotten to now, but VERY
beautiful... stays in mind.

Now two questions, which I gather you don't promise to answer:

How do you fasten to the "temp support", what IS temp support, and do you
take off the support to develop? (Well that's 3, but who's counting.)
Oh yes, and how long did you have to expose with that nervy 2%?

Anyway, Hoorah!!! (Or is it hooray?)

best,

Judy