Re: Gum without glass

From: Greg Schmitz (gws1@columbia.edu)
Date: 02/15/02-05:59:00 PM Z

Bob and all: The general rule, as I understand it, in conservation
circles regarding the replacement of glass on daguerreotypes is to
leave original glass in place. DO NOT remove the glass. The reason
for this is that the daguerreotype and the glass are usually sealed
together to form a sealed "package." This package serves to protect
the dag from damage as well as environmental problems (eg. "bad"
gasses and rapid changes in humidity). Usually the glass is replaced
only if the original "package" is damaged. I only say this here to
discourage anyone who might be thinking about replacing the glass on
their dags. It can be done, but you really should get professional
help from somebody that knows how to it.

-greg schmitz