Re: Miss Scarlet, in the Studio, with the Brush

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/19/02-01:38:53 AM Z

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Jeff Buckels wrote:

> At the suggestion of Dick Arentz in the Platinum/Palladium Book, I got
> some Crocein Scarlet to spot pinholes on my negatives for pt/pd
> printing. You know, the red material will mask the UV light, etc. I
> was surprised to find that Crocein Scarlet comes as a powder. The
> mystery I need solved is: How do I use this stuff? Anybody know? I
> mean, I suppose you make a solution w/ some amount of some liquid plus
> some amount of the powder, get a teeny weeny brush, etc. etc. Anybody
> used this? Thanks. -jeff buckels

I, too, am wondering where you found crocein scarlet, since Kodak has
(AFAIK) long discontinued it. As supplied by Kodak it was a very
AMAZINGLY strong dye, which, much much diluted (with distilled water) also
kept indefinitely. Advantage over black was that you could see where it
was, advantage over opaque materials was that it's not so fragile or easy
to destroy once you've painstakingly deployed it. Which is also the
disadvantage, since if you don't like result it's a pain to soak out.

If one had the skill & patience, one could beef up whole areas in a weak
negative. However that skill is devilishly hard to achieve, or so it
seemed to the impatient. Transitions of the impatient are rudely apparent,
gradations clumsy rather than "photographic" -- at least for "drawing."
Broad flat washes are less parlous.

Judy