Re: What is "Good Photography"?

From: George Huczek (ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca)
Date: 02/19/02-08:19:46 AM Z

At 08:34 PM 18/02/2002 -0700, you wrote:
He can do whatever he wants, and the critics will declare that it's art,
especially if it
>annoys normal people".
>
>Link to Barry's column:
>http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/columnists/dave_barry/2679614.ht

It's the Emperor's new clothes!

The trouble that the misinformed and ignorant public (like me and you) has
is that when we dare to speak up and say that these so-called "art works"
are preposterous and outrageous, then the defenders of art suddenly crawl
out from the crevices to chastise us for missing the point of the work and
of art itself. There seems to be no point in even trying to debate the
matter, because if the almighty curator has pontificated that the work is
art, then why would we even dare suggest that it is not! The appeal to
authority is stronger than common sense, even though the janitor correctly
recognized the trash installation for what it was and tried to dispose of it.