Re: Casein Prints, Sodium Caseinate Availability

Smieglitz@aol.com
Date: 02/19/02-09:48:55 PM Z

In a message dated 02/19/2002 21:13:51, you wrote:

<<Assuming I can't get the Sodium Caseinate, any experiences making the casein
from dried milk or fresh milk?>>

Hi Tom,

I've made the casein from dried milk according to Ernie's recipe and it was
very easy... essentially acidify the milk, wash the acid from the curd and
then dissolve it in ammonia as I recall (been a few years). I was surprised
that exposures seemed to be about one-tenth that required for gum.

I never pursued casein printing although I'm thinking a layer of unpigmented
and briefly exposed casein dichromate emulsion might make a good surface size
layer for gum or further casein printing.

Joe