Re: Casein Prints, Sodium Caseinate Availability

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/20/02-12:00:34 AM Z

Really, I turn my back on this list for one day.....

Granted my brain is worn to a nubbin after coping with database and serial
killer of both my printers for nearly a week -- but ....I fail to
understand this discussion & I edited the article in question with my very
own evil computer from digital hell...

Lukas Werth's article (page 16, Issue #6) says "I dissolve the casein
powder (from Kremer)..." Now hindsight tells me I should have put in
brackets "See Sources & Services, page 44," or come visit and stop off at
Kremer on Elizabeth Street, lower east side, one of the most charming
neighborhoods in the city these days, tho fast gentrifying, and pick up
some casein.

However, having written about Kremer & its goods on various occasions for
all sorts of things (& you'd think they'd give me at least a few ounces of
shellac for my trouble), both onlist & in P-F, I probably assumed it was
now as familiar as Freestyle... But whether or not, to suppose P-F would
list an ingredient available only in Europe without saying so ...and
telling you how to whip it up in your kitchen blender !!?? You are too
cruel.

Anyway,

Kremer Pigments
228 Elizabeth St
800/995-5501
www.kremer-pigmente.com
kremerinc@aol.com

They have a very inclusive (and FASCINATING !) catalog which lists casein
at $4.25, $11.25 & $20.70, noting "price increase due to the rise in
cheese consumption due to BSE," but neglecting to list the quantities for
those prices. (Go figure...)

And what pray tell is BSE? Bovine Something Encephaly? (Our cheese
consumption here has also increased, but due to Joe's Cheese Shop's 2-year
old sharp cheddar... I can feel it lining my arteries this very minute.)

best,

Judy