RE: What is "Good Photography"?

From: Christopher Lovenguth (chrisml@pacbell.net)
Date: 02/22/02-10:57:07 AM Z

Maybe it's my upbringing from a highly conceptual school of thought but
there seems to be this neglect sometimes when making an argument like this
on the conceptual aspect of art. Think about it for a moment. You walk in to
a room, possibly by yourself; maybe someone else is there. The lights go
off. What has become of the environment, space, color, all this sense of
space that you had when entering a room with the lights on is now gone? Now
when the lights come back on, maybe you have moved, maybe more people came
in, maybe someone left, regardless the composition of the space has changed.
That is the art. It is very pure too because the viewer and the space are
the art. A truly interactive art experience that is consistently
transforming. It is a piece that will never be the same each time you view
it.

Now with the installation after the party. Just think about it a
little...people who dismiss this are people who think, "Well if the janitor
cleaned it up why isn't that art too?" Again you are not thinking about
intent and space. The party was in that space of the exhibit. This artist
wanted to preserve an event that affected a change in an environment. Would
it have been more valid for you if he had taken a picture with an 8X10 and
did a platinum print of it, then hung it in that space? Why go through all
those steps and alter the perspective of the event? Why not just show the
viewer the objects that are a result of an event?

It comes down to two things I have notice lately about the "viewer" in the
art world.

1.) First some people believe that they shouldn't have to think to view art.
Thinking is work. Art is entertainment. TV is entertainment, don't have to
think in front of a TV, shouldn't have to think in front of art.
2.) Art must be a tangible "none but the trained artist can do" object.
Painting makes an object, sculpture makes an object, photography makes an
object and installation makes an object but it just better be something like
painting, sculpture, or photography. Better be also something crafty that
took time an expertise to do or it's not art. (Remember that it wasn't very
long ago that no photograph was considered art. Photography is mechanical,
all you need is a camera so "I can do that" and it isn't art! In fact many
people still think this way.)

"No wonder that there's "such little support of artists in this world" when
poseurs such as Creed pass off uninspired crap as art and are handsomely
rewarded for it. The general public (being much smarter than the art world
cognoscenti) consider it a joke, as evidenced by Barry's humor column."

On a personal note Cactus, calling someone else's work crap without
experiencing it, just means you are bitter that this person got money and a
place in a gallery. That, my friend, is EXACTLY what I meant when I said
there is little support for artist in the world by other artist. You see
this as a competition further indicated by you comment:

"Ever try to get your work in a museum Christopher? If you have, then you
would understand that curators do wield power."

First you assume that because I don't share you view that I must not have
tried to get work in somewhere. So I must not be a real artist to begin with
and not understand what I'm talking about.

What exactly is the power? Making art is making art, not being in SFMOMA.
That is ego.

Do I dream of being a living famous artist that can go to any museum and see
my work? Of course!

Do I blame curators, gallery owners, trends in art, art dealers, coffee
houses, when "they" chose someone else's work over mine? No!

Do I attack what I think as inferior work to mine as "Uninspired crap"? No!

Do I think sometimes work in a gallery, museum, coffee house, could be
better thought out, or has a composition that isn't working, or the idea is
lacking direction? Yes!

And that is all the difference......