Re: What is "Good Photography"?

From: Thor Bols (thorbols@hotmail.com)
Date: 02/25/02-07:50:01 PM Z

Exactly. I had never read Mr. Barry before, but a little web-searching
seems to suggest that he makes his living making people smile. Nothing
wrong with that, of course, but he's not the most authoritative source for
art criticism. Can you imagine Mr. Barry's column on Gum Printing?

"I left a photo exhibition scratching my head and wondering how much of this
so-called "art" a person is expected to take writing a column. You will
recall my previous comments concerning Martin Creed. Well, at least Creed's
blinking lights show him to be at least slightly aware of technology. The
pictures I saw today were "gum prints", made with a lengthy and laborious
process using carcinogenic chemicals and resulting in a murky and fuzzy
picture. Why my own little daughter can make a better picture with a
digital camera! This stuff looked like it was made in the last century! Is
the artist not aware of a company called Kodak? What's the point of this
nonsense? To support Sudan, an enemy of the US, by importing Gum Arabic?
Ya gotta wonder"