Re: Oleobrom and photographists

From: illovich (illovich@home.com)
Date: 02/26/02-01:11:27 PM Z

Because I love to I looked up photographist in the OED, which concurs
with the = photographer definition, but which adds the quaint :

  [f. PHOTOGRAPHY + -IST: cf. geologist, botanist, etc.]

All usages referenced in the OED occur between 1843 and 1872, with
the 1843 date being attributed to W.H.T., which I assume is short for
William Henry (Fox) Talbot.

While I was there, I noticed:

photographeme [f. PHOTOGRAPH n. + -eme as if f. Gr. - (cf. -EME).]
A photograph.

Lovely!

"My dear, as I am photographist of no renown and you are so lovely
may I impose upon you to allow me to fashion a photographeme from
your likeness?"