Photo Trash Movement

Grafist@aol.com
Date: 02/26/02-08:30:05 PM Z

Hi All, With all of the genuine interest voiced in the ways of sub culture
art and photography (alternative, of course) over the past few postings, the
notion of an Internet based drive towards establishing respect for a movement
called, possibly, "The World Wide Photo Trash Circle" has been suggested to
me. This concept comes well within the confines of the alternative
photography scenario as, obviously, the effort would be focused on a
collection of work alternative to more popular photographic work (could be
laser copies, too) which to the initiated would be Photo Trash but to the
appropriate strata of collectors would be financial investments.
          So, whos game folks ? ? ? Discussion, Rants, Reminiscences,
References, Comedy, Fun ( why not?) much as some of the traffic here has
already indicated ......anything to lighten up the darkroom gloom plus
actual hard copy photo trash which could be sent to an address (Whos
offering? ?) with the aim of assembling an exhibition once ( IF) the
publicity has been achieved.
            Why leave it all to the professionals? CASH FOR YOUR PHOTO TRASH
   Judy wrote.....
> Or proving the artist's brilliance in making art that
>can STILL "epater le bourgeoisie" after all these years. (shock the yuppees?)
              ............and...........
>Every closed community has it's gatekeepers. Ever try to get a Ph.D?
>Ever try to book your garage band at Madison Square Garden? Ever try
>to run for public office? I agree that often the walls seem high, but
>in general the real problem (IMHO) with the established system of art
>patronage is that it still hasn't evolved much from the court system,
>and depends entirely too much on the whims an tastes of an obscure
>and out of touch plutocracy.
>Illovich
     They want us to give up trying.

.............................and....................
>So, as long as those who buy your failures don't know any better, it's ok?
>Will that piece continue to flake, or should we say "evolve"?
>Mark Nelson

Yes ! Its part of what they pay for.

    But, seriously, a similar thing has happened in the Jazz and other
music worlds.......tickets are selling. The listeners are enthralled. To them
its new and different. The real musician knows its crap. The well off
viewers are searching to be shocked, outraged, intellectually insulted
(quirky psychology, there). Looking to buy. It happened more than a hundred
years back and I've seen it happen over and over thru'out my life time.
Look up De Kooning's work. He was a very able photographically accurate
draughtsman with a graphite pencil. He saw the developing success of the
Abstract Expressionists of the mid fifties and switched to scribble work from
which he , and others, made an absolute fortune. I, myself, was a fully
trained burin engraver. It took many years of practice and effort to master
the technique. Then I met the work of William Hayter a geologist and chemist
who learned to engrave free lines on sheets of copper and make prints. I
admire the work of this man, but even more his persistence in setting up
Atelier 17 in Paris and later, during WW2, in New York where many of the
original Abstract Expressionists worked and conspired to break into the
scene. They did ! !
            F/Artists of today with the electronic comm system , which De
Kooning and co never had, have the means to create their own promotion. But
I sense it takes something more. Exclusivity ? Panache?
What's the next move ? ? Create some controversy? Get your trash priced?
Give up and become a genuine, sincere photographer? (Be that ,too.)
            Today, I was mostly sand papering my lenses.
                                        Stay Jolly Cool
                            Photocrapist - John Grocott - Londres -
Angleterre.