Duplicating film

From: Breukel, C (HKG) (cor@lumc.nl)
Date: 02/27/02-07:46:29 AM Z

Is it posible to get a longer exposure range than 2- 21/2 stops out of
duplicating film?

That is all I seem to be able to squeeze out of AGFA's duplicating film,
and it simply to little.

For details: see below the more detailed off-list mail.

Curious about other (more positive) expriences with duplicating film.

Thanks,

Cor

....................... I was given a box of out-dated (no fog though)
AGFA-Geveart duplicating film Litex RD610P. This could be an ideal film
to make enlarged negativs in one step.

So I tested it by enlarging a Stouffer 21 stepwedge with my CompanonS
150 mm (at f11) onto this film. I used diluted Ilford PQ print developer
at first at 1:20, and secondly at 1:40 (normal dilution 1:10) for
various processing times. As maybe expected the lower dilution and/or
shorter processing times provide lower densities on the enlarged step
wedge. What unfortunaly did not change was the "lith character"of this
film.: no real toe, than a steep linear part over a shallow 4-6 steps at
max (2-2 1/2 stops). No a good option for translating the information of
a small negative a larger one (higher densities are desirable for alt.
work, but also a linear response).

Onether possible solution could Dave Soemarko's LC1 developer, designed
for
linear response of lith film.

I also tried this developer (without the sodiumbisulphate) in the
darkroom, but
the results with this developer were compairable with the PQ results.
Besides I do not know if one
can compair both films. I seem to recall that duplicating film is
carefully flashed lithfilm, so the next exposure is essentially a
solarization.

Do you know of any options to get a more linear response to light out of
this duplicating film?