Re: fractal

From: C Downs (fardog@mindspring.com)
Date: 02/27/02-09:35:43 AM Z

>>>>>>>snipped.......

I use it regularly but have not made dig negs from it yet. It allows a much
better way of creating the extra pixels you might need for making negs since
you only tell it the size and PPI/DPI you want and it uses the fractal math
to supply this. After saving your image as a "Sting" file it is basically a
mathamatical file with no pixels. You supply the number you would like. This
Sting file { *.STN }has been used in movie making and Genuine Fractals may
be only one of several programs using it { this is over my head! }. There
are two file choices -lossless and simi/lossless. I have used it to up-size
a 35mm slide to print at around 24x24 with 360ppi { off a 2400ppi scan} It
gave great results with better edge sharpness and much smoother pixil "fill"
than the Adobe bicubit way of resizing. The Adobe way basically just
adverages the difference between pixels and fills in between. One of the
other advantages it preforms is that the 8x10 negs I shoot are scanned at
1200-1600 ppi and it reduces the file size to about 10% of the original
making storage easy{ I can get several instead of just one image per CD}.To
me the difference in "resizing" this way is that the images don't seem to
fall apart as in resizing throught Adobe. They seem to give the same look as
using a larger format BUT with only the same resolution as the smaller
format. { maybe it could be described as looking like the image might have
been slightly diffraction limited by too small a F/stop but has the image
grain structure of a larger format.}. If you would contact me off list I
might be able to send a small section of an image "Pre" and "Resized" to
your neg making needs to let you see what it can do before dropping $100.+
dollars. There is little gained with small pixel increases....you can see
only small differences over other ways with a 50% increase but significant
differences if going up 200%+. With an 8x10 to 16x20 ....toss up -- 4x5 to
16x20 well worthwhile { IMHO :o) } I don't have Adobe 6.0 running now but
have been told tha Adobe already has or is working on a plugin for similar
Fractal work with 6.0.

Chuck