Fw: Silk Screen

From: Kris Erickson (kerickso@acs.ryerson.ca)
Date: 02/28/02-10:18:19 AM Z

 For silk screen you need either black or white--no intermediate grays.
 Otherwise, when trying to expose the mask onto the screen, the 'gray' areas
 will not receive enough exposure, and will wash out (likely just where you
 want them most). More ink than you/she want will come through the screen
 upon inking.
 The solution is to create a half tone screen (where the 'grey tones' are
 made up of varying sizes of black dots and white spaces--see any news paper
 photograph with a magnifying glass to see the effect: those dots are not
 grey ink but black ink with varying amounts of surrounding whitespace. It's
 an optical illusion from far enough away--the illusion of a continuous tone
 image).
 In Photoshop the halftone screen can be created by converting your image
 immediately before printing to a bitmap (Image>Mode>Bitmap) specifying 50%
 threshold. Essentially, this will convert everything light enough to white,
 and everything else to little pixels of black. When you print this out, you
 will get a decent rendition of your image, and all the tones will be made
up
 of solid black pixels. You should play around with the grey point (Ctrl-L)
 or the colour curves (Ctrl-B) if you want to fine tune the way the
 black&white image comes out; but of course this requires tweaking before
you
 convert to the 50% threshold bitmap ;-)
 Just a suggestion (from a friend of mine): if you are going to output onto
 acetate, make two copies and sandwich them together--this will ensure that
 you get solid black densities (i.e. no light leaking through). Sometimes
 some printers will not print very solid blacks onto acetate, so you will
 need to compensate.

 Hope this helps!
 Kris