Re: John Dugdale

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/13/02-12:42:44 AM Z

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, Don Bryant wrote:

> ...Does anyone know if Dugdale does his own
> printing? Does anyone have any details about his cyanotype prints?

He prints his own cyanotypes with an assistant (being legally blind as you
may know, so needs help coating, etc.) and as described in my P-F #5
article, "John Dugdale, as chance would have it, the boy next door..."

His formula, lighting and technique etc., are as described in the tech
notes at the end of the article, which starts, "Paper is Rising Bristol
1-ply, standard 2-ingredient cyanotype formula double coated." That's on
page 32 of the issue, and as a matter of fact, came from me. (My claim to
fame.) But it's the basic 2-ingredient cyano formula for any benighted
souls who don't have that issue.

Exposed by plain old BL bulbs, tho he used to stick the contact frames out
on the eaves in sunlight (as shown) just not enough of that in winter...

What
> paper, which cyanotype process?

He also printed a couple of shows of very beautiful toned cyanotypes, the
formula in that issue as well, starting with the sodium carb, then in the
tannic.

Judy