Re: PT/PD temp/humidity

From: Eric Neilsen (e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 01/21/02-11:10:51 AM Z

Jeffrey, I would have a darkroom in the 40's to work in. The months of
January and February nights would get down in the 0 F to 10 F. The
correlation between temp and RH is quite important. As you point out, the
effects of high RH are reduced when the temp is low. A low RH is also
lowered when heating a room. This is why I recommend getting the room back
up to a reasonable temp ( low 60's is ok), and if one is to conduct
"tests", I would try and run those test at same Temp/RH settings as before.
My darkroom in Taos had a wood burning stove as well as base board electric
in it, so I needed to take much into consideration when getting ready to
print.

It has been sometime since I worked with a cold darkroom. I would also
suspect that there is quite a range for different papers and coating
techniques. When living in the San Francisco Bay Area, we dried the Cranes
paper in the dry mount press for a few minutes before printing to lower its
moisture content as our lab was right in the path of a rolling fog bank that
covered the area and raised the RH considerably.

I have not tried coating in temps in the 80's with high humidity in quite
some time.

Eric Neilsen
Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9