Re: Speaking of gold toning. . .

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 01/25/02-03:32:27 PM Z

At 09:50 AM 01/25/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Greetings all,
>
>Whilst rummaging around in the supply closet I came across a small (8oz) box
>of Berg Color Tone Gold Protective Solution. There is no expiration date
>anywhere that I can see. In the box are two 4oz bottles—one of them is
>obviously gold chloride, and the other is a fixer of some kind. Do any of
>you know the specifics of this kit? The percentage of gold solution or the
>composition of the fixing agent? Everywhere I look I don’t see my Darkroom
>Cookbook.
>
>Thanks!
>John

  I don't know what's in the Berg toner specifically but its probably
similar to Kodak GP-1
Kodak GP-1 Gold Protective Solution
Water 750.0 ml
Gold Chloride, 1% stock solution 10.0 ml
Sodium thiocyanate 10.0 grams
Water to make 1.0 liter

The Gold Chloride stock solution is made by dissolving 1.0 gram of Gold
Chloride in 100 ml of water.

  A stronger toner of the same type is Ansco/Agfa 231

Water (at 125F) 750.0 ml
Ammonium thiocyanate 105.0 grams
Gold Chloride, 1% solution 60.0 ml
Water to make 1.0 liter

Sodium or Potassium thiocyanate can be used in place
of Ammonium Thiocyanate by adjusting the amount.
Sodium Thiocyanate 110.0 grams
Potassium Thiocyanate 135.0 grams

----
Richard Knoppow