RE: Pyro POP

From: John Campbell (tojohn@texas.net)
Date: 01/25/02-03:13:54 PM Z

Hi, Manuel-

As I write this to you, I am just shutting down my Gecko UV box, finishing a
long session of printing "digitized" pyro negs onto Cent. POP. I develop in
Pyro (ABC or Rollo) with a slightly long development time. I skip the second
Metaborite bath, having learned the advantages of that from folks on this
list. I do no more digital editing (in Photoshop) than absolutely necessary
(typical darkroom stuff)-and then I duplicate the background layer, switch
to the Multiply mode on the new level, and drop the opacity down to the
range of 50%. Then I invert to a negative and store the original scan size
as a Genuine Fractals file so that I can open it to any size I need. That's
what I do this week, mind you. Next week maybe I'll do something else. You
can get a look at a few samples of this process at www.photogecko.com. I do
coating processes, also-but everything on the site happens to be POP.

Having said all that-I have no idea whether your process is totally analog
or partly digital, so I may not have said a darned thing that was helpful or
even made any sense. That's okay, I enjoyed saying it anyway. I'm sure you
know that contrast falls of in proportion to development time with POP. I
find it essential to step test every negative. My exposure times run from
three minutes to about fifteen On average exposure runs six to nine minutes
(that I can guarantee-I just check it!).

Have fun with it, and keep me posted.

Toodle,
John

www.photogecko.com