Re: One more question about gold toning van dyke

From: Richard Knoppow (dickburk@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 01/25/02-03:36:50 PM Z

At 08:49 AM 01/25/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>I mostly make Van Dyke images and I am very interested in trying this. Can I
>start with a simple gold toning kit from photographer's formulary? They have
>a couple different kits so I was wondering if any of you out there have
>tried their gold toning kits and which one you might recommend to first try
>with Van Dyke. I was looking at the NELSON GOLD TONER they say it is similar
>to Kodak T-21. Also is it possible to test on old prints or are best results
>only to tone before fix? Thanks for any suggestions.

  Nelson's Gold was covered by a patent. Both Kodak T-21 and Ansco/Agfa 223
are identical and are from the patent (USP 1,849,245).
  This is not strictly a gold toner. Rather, it is a sulfiding sepia toner
which contains gold as a color modifier.
  For conventional materials the prints should be re-fixed after toning in
Nelson's or other hypo type toners since the toner may generate some silver
halide or complex which remains in the emulsion.
  I don't know if this applies to toning Van Dyke prints.

----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com