Re: gold toning van dyke browns

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/25/02-07:15:38 PM Z

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Andre Fuhrmann wrote:
> True, Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner does contain fixer. But a dilution
> of 1:100 is a homeopathic dosis and probably (?) has much less
> bleaching power than the final hypo bath. True too, however, that
> selenium even at 1:100 will bleach the print if bathed too long (1 or
> 2 minutes was the maximum time for me, if I recall correctly). (This
> is to say, Judy, that I doubt that home-made selenium toner without
> hypo would not bleach the print -- I doubt but don't know.)

Well being as I am a non-believer in homeopathy, for practical purposes
anyway, you've got me. But my first throught is that if the fixer doesn't
bleach how do we know the toner tones? But more to the point, this is the
first I ever heard of just selenium bleaching -- in fact it's an
intensifier (after fixing, with KRS). I used the T-55 & T-56 quite a
bit... never noticed any bleaching. Did you see that happen? Are you
sure it was the selenium?

Judy