Re: Kallitype vs. PT/PD

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/25/02-07:04:43 PM Z

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Sandy King wrote:
> As for image permanence, which has always been an issue with the
> kallitype, one could make a good case that a well-processed
> kallitype, platinum toned, is as permanent, if not more so, than any
> other type of silver image. The keys to permanence would seem to be,
> 1) complete removal via clearing of unused iron, 2) proper fixing of
> the image to remove the unused silver, and 3) complete removal of the
> hypo via adequate washing, or its conversion through the use of a
> hypo eliminator which allows a shorter final wash.

FWIW, when I was doing kallitypes, palladium was maybe half the price of
platinum, and I toned them with palladium. Color was a very beautiful deep
rich black.

I think palladium costs as much as platinum now, doesn't it, or is that
just rumor?

But I wonder about your mention of hypo eliminator. Last I heard (long
ago, admittedly) experts said don't use that, bad for SG prints. Is that
now inoperative?

Judy