Re: Kallitype vs. PT/PD

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 01/25/02-07:37:03 PM Z

Judy Seigel wrote:

>I think palladium costs as much as platinum now, doesn't it, or is that
>just rumor?

I only use the platinum #3 solution for toning, which I think is a
mixture of palladium and platinum. It is fairly expensive.

>But I wonder about your mention of hypo eliminator. Last I heard (long
>ago, admittedly) experts said don't use that, bad for SG prints. Is that
>now inoperative?

What I use is a 3% sodium sulfite solution, followed by a wash of
about 15 minutes.The sodium sulfite does not eliminate the hypo but
converts it into something that does not react with the silver. Or at
least that is what I read somewhere by someone who should know and
that is why I use it. I understand that Kodak Hypo Clear is of
similar composition?

Sandy