Re: Paper again.

From: clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 01/29/02-07:01:45 PM Z

Wendy:

>Rives BFK
>
> I used a rod for application had difficulty spreading it. and it soaked up
>the sensitizer. On the 2nd sheet I used enuf sensitizer for 5x7 and finally
>was able to get it spread. The results were less than desirable. Grainy
>and weak dmax.

I think you may have better luck coating this paper with a brush. It IS
pretty absorbent. I use it for gum-over only, but have gotten some pretty
good straight Pd prints using the brush coating technique. I put about .8ml
of sensitizer and .8ml of metal per 8x10. Some people cut this with 50%
distilled water for coating this paper to allow for its sponge-like nature.

>Rising Drawing.
>
> applied well with the rod. warm tone. the detail is gorgeous. tonal
>range desireable. I like it!! 2 ply seemed to bring the demax out well
>enough. I don't use a step but it seemed to dry down a little lighter.
>Grain fine and Dmax pretty good.

I like this paper too. Coats easily. The paper base of the stock I have is
much warmer than the Platine, however.

>All this kind of makes my Arches Platine prints, from previous printing
>sessions look just kind of okay.

I personally have gotten some of my best prints ever with Platine. I have
also just finished a weekend of printing where I got a lot of Platine prints
with the dreaded black specks in the sky areas. When your karma is right, it
is a great paper. When your chi is off, watch out.

I bought some Whatman's Printmaking paper for doing argyrotype prints
recently, and coated a few sheets with Oxalic acid to try it with Palladium.
I got really nice prints that have all the depth of a good Platine print,
without the speckles. It has a little surface texture, but not enough to be
annoying. You may want to try that too if you're in the experimental mood. I
got the 250gsm hotpress from New York Central for about $2.50 a sheet. Its
about half the price of Platine, and from early results, a really nice paper
when treated with the oxalic acid. The warmth and tone is very similar to
Platine.

Definitely try the Lenox. After cursing my Platine Karma this weekend, I
made the remainder of my prints on Lenox and had no problems. A gentle,
nice, caring, and understanding paper that doesn't find fault with
everything I do.

Good Luck! May all your failures be on small negatives.

Clay