Re: Large format conf. ABQ

jeffbuck@swcp.com
Date: 07/08/02-09:30:33 AM Z

Though I did not attend the Alt Photo Conf in Albuquerque, I have in recent
weeks seen numerous recently-produced gum-overs and gums by Stuart Melvin,
Kerik Kouklis, Stan Klimek and others. I'm puzzled by Katherine Thayer's
posting. Maybe the gum-over craft has simply been elevated in recent times.
Anyway, I see very little connection between these recent gum-overs/gums and
Cibachromes. The color/texture appeal is to me altogether different. For
that matter (full disclosure) I'm not sure I've ever seen a Cibachrome I'd
allow on the same wall with a fine gum-over. These gum-overs/gums I've seen
recently include some of the most beautiful pictures, of any kind, I've ever
seen. -jeff buckels

Katharine Thayer <kthayer@pacifier.com> said:

> Richard Sullivan wrote:
> >

> > When Stuart brought out his 20 x 24 twelve coat gums there was a audible
> > murmur in the audience. Those prints are unlike anything I've ever seen,
> > and if I did not know, I would have guessed they were carbons except for
> > the luminosity. They had an unearthly glow to them. ... They were
certainly not your Photo 101 gritty