Re: Large format conf. ABQ and gum prints

From: Don Bryant (dsbryant@mindspring.com)
Date: 07/08/02-07:41:41 PM Z

Chris,

> Having seen Stuart's and Klimek's gums I have to agree with Jeff
here--they
> look not like cibas but they look like they have a depth and a gloss that
> does not approximate a color photo but is juicy and three dimensional.
I'm
> trying to search for descriptive words to convey the effect but it is
> hard--maybe like this: if you melted a bunch of jujubes or jujyfruit
candy
> and let them ooze on the paper, that is what they approximate...edible and
> chewy.

I certainly can't match your sensuous and poetic description of Stuart and
Stan's prints that they showed at APIS last summer but I can say that they
were quite marvelous. Stuart's pin hole images were displayed sans glass as
K. Thayer has discussed and were wonderful to gaze at. The only gum overs of
Stan's were two very large prints he made for Tom Baril - but what powerful
prints those were.

Kerik had not began gum overs at that time, I believe he spent some time
with Stuart after APIS to learn the gum over technique. So the only gum
overs of Kerik's I have seen are the ones on his web site(www.kerik.com).
Not like viewing them in the flesh but better than not seeing any at all. I
only wish that Stuart and Stan could get their work on line for us to
sample.

I hope my reply doesn't sound too insipid but I would have loved to have
attended the Large Format Conference and Platipus just to see more their
work. I especially wanted to hear Michael A. Smith and Zoe Zimmerman (along
with the entire line up ) speak but time wouldn't allow the trip.

We poor bastards in the southeast just don't have the alternative synergy at
work that our south western brethren share. I've often thought that Savannah
would be a good location for some type of Alternative Process Conference
since Craig Stevens and SCAD are located there and the photo-art community
is quite vibrant.
I can only hope that something like that could actually happen.

Well I'm drifting OT here so I better go back to my lurking.

Don Bryant