Re: DIY ground glass

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 07/09/02-04:12:27 PM Z

Jeff,

Over the years I have made numerous pieces of real ground glass. Its not
hard, it just requires some patience and a little work.

First you must obtain some carborundum grit. This is the same stuff that is
used by people who grind mirrors for astronomical telescopes. If you know of
a local amateur astronomy club, check with them. Edmund Scientific Co. most
likely sells it. Anyway, start with #400. Get a piece of glass cut the size
you want. Also get a smaller piece of glass maybe 3 x 4 or 4 x 5. Put
layers of newspapers down on a solid surface.
Put your piece of glass on the newspaper. Mix about a half teaspoon of # 400
carborundum with water. Press the smaller piece of glass down on top of that
and begin moving it around in circles while moving around all over the
bottom pievec of glass. After about ten minutes of doing this, wash off both
plates of glass and dry them with a paper towel. Now examine the bottom
plate. There will be areas which are well frosted and areas which are not.
Repeate the process concentrating on those areas which are least frosted.
Repeat untill you have a nice even coating.

If you need a finer screen, use #600 or finer.

I have done this many times and made pieces of ground glass as large as
three feet by four feet. Of course, the larger the sheet of glass, the
longer it takes.

Bob Schramm

>From: Jeff Foster <jfoster@uclink.berkeley.edu>
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: DIY ground glass
>Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 10:22:43 -0700
>
>hi,
>Has anyone used glass etching cream to make their
>own ground glass? I need one for an 8x10 back
>and though this might be a solution. the cream can be found at craft/hobby
>stores.
>says 1-3 minutes and the glass is etched,
>
>thanks for any info,
>Jeff
>
>----
>Jeff Foster