Re: Powerful UV point source ozone

From: John Cremati (johnjohnc@core.com)
Date: 07/14/02-09:09:24 PM Z

On Sat, 13 Jul 2002, Sandy King wrote:
> So metal halide bulbs create ozone?

  Judy Seigel wrote :

This is the first time I've heard that mentioned. Any further
confirmation out there? (You don't mean carbon arc, do you ???)

> I wonder if this makes them more
> environmentally friendly for Judy?

 John Cremati wrote:
     I always understood that the O3 radical or ozone at ground level was
created in quantity by "ANY" source of high output UV light when it reacts
with oxygen and also certain elements in the air, particularly certain
pollutants...... I was also under the understanding that when Bad Ozone
in the lower atmosphere or O3 free radical when inhaled it combines with
other compounds to form some new compounds in your body some of which are
carsogenic... It is a irritant to the eyes, throat and lungs....
      I just plain don't like the smell of it or the feeling it gives me
which is reason enough to for me to well ventilate .......
      So make sure you take your "Anti Oxidants" with your vitamins.

 I found a pretty good scientific explanation of Ozone at ground level at
:
http://daac.gsfc.nasa.gov/CAMPAIGN_DOCS/ATM_CHEM/ozone_cycle.html