Re: HP5+ and LONG development times

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 07/17/02-07:59:24 AM Z

--
You may have confused reports about the stability of ABC+/Rollo Pyro
with Pyrocat-HD.
As regards ABC+/Rollo Pyro I have heard quite a number of negative
reports about the stability of the stock solutions, or more
specifically, stock solution A. The issue is that that the developer
appears to lose a lot of its energy after a few months of storage.
The likely culprit is ascorbic acid, which is known to go bad in
certain kinds of stock solutions. Just look at all the discussion
about this problem with regard to Xtol.
As for  Pyrocat-HD I have suggested in various places that the
stability of Stock Solution A, when the formula contains phenidone,
is not as great as the stability Stock Solution A of PMK, which as we
know can last for years. When I initially made this suggestion it was
based on theory. However, after working with Pyrocat-HD for a number
of years I can state as a fact that Stock Solution A, with
Phenidoine, is good for up to 6 months, with proper storage. Not as
good as PMK but as good or better than most all other developers.
With metol in place of phenidone stability is even better.
Sandy King