Re: Inkjet Negatives for Van Dyke

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 07/21/02-07:06:54 AM Z

I am only speaking from my experience and from my collaborations with others
on this same problem. While I have no doubt that what you and Sandy say is
true, what I have stated is also true. In order for that to be the case,
there obviously is some difference between those inks and the inks I and
others are using.

I am also aware of the Burkholder method that uses color ink to produce
spectral density negs - it's not what I am try to accomplish.

As I said in my original post, there are a huge number of considerations
here. What it seems to boil down to is that most all the quad tone inks are
pigment inks and "those particular inks" are not compatible with most clear
base inkjet/OHTP films. IF ANYONE OUT THERE IS SUCCESSFULLY USING A THIRD
PARTY QUAD TONE INK WITH A CLEAR BASE FILM, would they please let me know.
I am aware that some new printers and their proprietary inks (not available
in bulk or for my Epson 1160 or 1520) print well on film. Not withstanding
that, please read the series of posts between me and Chip Pryor of Pictorico
below (it begins and then ends with >>>>>>>>>>>>>).

So the search for the holy grail continues, at least for me............

Nick

We've only tested Jon Cone's Piezographic Quadtone inks and have found them
to behave the same as MIS inks-- OK on textured surfaces, but can be easily
rubbed off on smoother surfaces.

Chip