RE: Avoiding gelatine

From: Jacek Kosciukiewicz (jacek@gdansk.home.pl)
Date: 07/29/02-01:19:37 PM Z

You can try solution of polyvinyl alcohol. You should dilute 150 g of solid
compound in 1 liter of cold water (demineralised). Stirr it intensively
while putting alkohol to the water. Leave mixture overnight to soake. After
that heat mixture from a few up to even 12 hours in water bath (cover, not
very tightly, vessel with solution to avoid water evaporate). This emulsion
works well with gum bichromate and cyanotypes (this I tried with success).
You can store raw emulsion at least e few months. If you add 3 tablets of
Aspirine (powdered) to the mixture while heating, storing time extends up to
12 months. Of course in cean conditions.

Good luck

Jacek