Re: Another one bites the dust.

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 07/30/02-12:38:59 PM Z

Bob,

My remark about silver gelatin prints and slaving away in the
darkroom was not entirely tongue-in-cheek. In fact I dislike working
in the dark, as in film processing, and tend to avoid it entirely by
developing in tubes and drums. I can abide printing with a safe-light
but if truth be known that is not one of my favorite experiences
either. This is one of the reasons I have printed primarily with
alternative processes since the early 1980s.

As for comparison of the archival qualities of silver and Epson
pigment ink prints, the best information suggests they are about
equal, though I am inclined to believe that a print made with a
pigment ink like carbon black will in fact be more stable than a
silver print. However, since archival qualities are in the 200+ range
for both type of prints I don't think we should be overly concerned
about this issue.

However, assuming the above is correct, ie. silver gelatin and
pigment ink prints have about the same archival qualities, one must
admit that the range of corrections and enhancements possible with
digital prints makes them hard to beat. I have made a few digital
prints of 13X19" size from high quality scans of 5X7 original
negatives (with corrections and enhancements in PhotoShop) and
compared them to silver prints made from the same negative. I have to
be frank about this. The digital prints have it all over the silver
prints in terms of apparent sharpness and control of tones. I suspect
that as master silver printer could apply unsharp and contrast
control masking and come close to the quality of the digital print,
but it would take a lot of work.

Sandy