Re: Another one bites the dust.

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 07/30/02-02:53:00 PM Z

> Bob Schramm wrote:
>
> >Just learned today that Olympus is discontinuing the OM series of
> cameras.
> >
> > My question, how will profs. teach real photograpy if there are no
> >more manual cameras?
>
> Probably with digital cameras. But, exactly what is real photography?
>

> > Second question. Is silver-gelatin about to become an alternative
> > process?
>

> Yes, and probably not a very popular one. After all, why would anyone
> want to slave away in the dark to make monochrome silver prints that
> are less archival than digital ink-jet prints? As for color, the
> Epson pigment printers are already vastly superior to all wet
> processed color prints in terms of stability.
>

> Sandy King
>

> >Bob Schramm
> >
> >Check out my web page at:
> >
> > http://www.SchrammStudio.com
> >
> >also look at:
> >
> > http://www.wlsc.wvnet.edu/www/pubrel/photo.html

> --

Certainly sad for those of use who have used the Olympus system since
1973, though I'll continue to do so until digital catches up.

However it won't make a great deal of difference to how I teach, and
wouldn't if I was still teaching photography. I started using video in my
teaching in 1978 as well as still cameras. The equipment is really
unimportant, just a means to an end.

I still go into the darkroom at times, despite producing most of the
prints I exhibit and sell on ink jet, it is still faster and cheaper to
proof and made library prints in the darkroom. Where I want real control,
the computer has an edge, and thanks to Cone inks I can print with the
quality I need also.

In the end, photography is still about ideas, and their realisation.
Simply a matter of choosing the best means whether digital or analog.

Best wishes,

Peter

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/