Re: Freeson / John Stewart

From: Alejandro Lopez de Haro (alhr@wanadoo.fr)
Date: 06/05/02-10:29:02 AM Z

Hi Sandy:

Sorry for not answering fast, but I went away for a while and on top of that
I had a terrible allergy crisis. I think I am better now.

I am trying to understand the concept of being an artist who uses
photography as his medium of expression and not doing ones own printing. The
more I think on this matter the less I can understand it. No matter how I
approach the subject I cannot I separate the art of creating an image on
your mind, then creating this image in a light sensitive material and then
reproducing this image on a surface and the artist be involved in only the
first or the second step if at all. There are many who are only involved in
the second step (an image not "this image").

The Fresson printing and Ms. Sheila Metzner Fresson's prints is to me the
perfect example of what I think on this matter. In this case the
photographer does not even understand how the Fresson printing method works,
since somebody else is doing part of what should be her work. Anyhow, since
Ms. Metzger is a commercial fashion photographer I see nothing wrong in her
approach since it is a norm for commercial photographer not to do their own
printing. We have to remember they are in the business of mass production.

Only when someone wants to calls himself or herself an artist is when one
should be extremely careful in accepting someone as such.

Regards,

Alejandro