Re: Fresson and handmade

From: Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 06/09/02-10:35:58 AM Z

At 05:04 PM 6/8/2002 -0600, you wrote:

> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but Cartier Bresson prints are available (or
> > at least they were) from Magnum at a fairly reasonable prices. I've
> > read a number of interviews with Bresson where he insists control
> > and interpretation of the negative (via printing) are not that
> > important to him.
> >
> > -greg schmitz <gws1@columbia.edu>
>
>Also From A Gallery in New Orleans: http://www.agallery.com/index.htm look
>at their website. I saw his most famous one there ("vintage") for $75,000.
>Other prices were more reasonable: 11" x 14" $4,500 - $5,000, 16" x 20"
>$5,000 - $5,500. How very O.T.....
>Chris

I don't think the issue of limited editions is off topic at all considering
the one part of the discussion at hand: whether or not hand coated prints
are self limiting.

Consider for a second my other point about how limiting editions may in
fact hurt a young going-to-be-successful in the long haul. here we have
Cartier in his prime selling prints at $5,500.00 and unlimited and the
price is described as reasonable!

Virtually every named photo gallery has his prints. Andrew Smith here in
Santa Fe carries them. Sheese, he must sell in the thousands every year.
Add up the numbers and you can see that he is hauling in the money. Just
think if he had limited those images to 50 at the time they were made?

But as a gallery owner told me just in the past week, "He's the exception."

--Dick Sullivan
--Dick Sullivan