120 infrared film available

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 06/10/02-12:31:46 PM Z

I just felt I should pass this on to you guys, as it has been on the IR list
and also the pure silver. David is assiduous in his testing procedures and
development of his method of rolling the film. I have shot his film
successfully and it is such a benefit to have 120 IR film for those of us
who shoot IR--35 mm negs are just too grainy for my liking sometimes, and
this is wonderful. I shoot it in my 6x7. With a 25 filter or 89B I get an
ISO in handheld meter of 100 with the film, develop in pyro PMK for 17.8 mn
at 68 degrees. Hmmm...any other questions please ask. (I don't get any
financial benefit out of this BTW :))
Chris

List members,
I'm very excited to announce that I am now offering Kodak Infrared film
in 120 size. The film is Black and White Infrared Aerographic film 2424
from Kodak. It is identical in every way to Kodak HIE.

I buy it in 70 mm wide rolls, 150 ft long. I have been working on
this project for almost a year now. I have built 2 machines that cut and

roll the film, so neither process is done by hand. This makes it much
more precise and minimizes defects, transport problems and light leaks.
It also allows me to cut the film down BOTH edges.

Although I must leave perforations along 1 edge, I have precisely cut
the film along the area BETWEEN the edge of the film and the sprocket
holes. The area is normally 2 mm, but I have removed about 1.5 mm of
that, minimizing the intrusion of sprocket holes into the image area. In

fact, unless you are using a filed out negative carrier, you will
virtually never see the sprocket holes in your prints, no extra cropping

necessary. This will save money for those of you who don't have your own

darkrooms and don't want to pay extra for custom printing at the photo
lab.

LIGHT TIGHTNESS!

This film is extremely light tight, I have even loaded it in full
daylight! (with the sun to my back of course) Going even to subdued
lighting is not necessary. The machine rolling allows me to wind the
film very tightly onto the spool. This provides the extra protection
from fogging.

IT CAN BE UNLOADED even in a very bright room, though if you unload it
under full daylight, I would recommend you putting a dark cloth over the

camera. The reason is that the camera back doesn't roll the film as
tightly as I do, so it is less light safe when unloading. Normal indoor
lighting levels, or even open shade should be dark enough though. If you

have doubts, feel free to test it yourself. One user successfully
unloaded it
under full daylight, your results may vary.

In the past, Kodak had problems with pinholes. I have been over this
issue with them several times and have a good relationship with the
Aerial Film folks at Kodak. Back around November 2001, they even
advised me not to buy any film until January 2002 when they would have
the problems fixed. I buy directly from Kodak and test each batch of
film
I receive from them for pinholes. If I find pinholes, I return it to
Kodak for
replacement. If not, I cut the film down and roll it. I cannot not offer
guarantee beyond this.

Currently I am only offering 120 size. I do not have any plans to offer
220 size.

I have priced the film very attractively at $12.50!

That makes it very comparable to HIE 35 mm rolls. I am offering 120 size

film canisters to store the film in before and after exposure at a price

of $1.00 extra, so you have a choice to buy them or not.

PayPal or money order only. Personal checks are not accepted

There is a 3 roll minimum. Shipping is a flat rate of $5.00. US
addresses only

Also at this time I am not shipping international orders because of the
hassles involved with customs and fear of airport X-rays. This is the
first announcement of the film though and I may offer international
shipments in the future.

Here is the link to my web site describing the film and ordering
information.
There are tips for loading and unloading the film, frequently asked
questions
and a host of other good info on shooting and metering IR film, even a
page on
how to build your own IR meter.

http://www.DavidRomano.com

Questions? email me at David@DavidRomano.com