RE: Toning w/TEA

From: Jonathan Bailey (quryhous@midcoast.com)
Date: 06/12/02-07:02:02 AM Z

Don-

> P.S. If one is going to tone in a real toner that does affect the silver
> grains I assume the tea toning should be done afterwards. Also should
> adjustments be made for contrast and density of the pre-toned prints when
> using tea?

If you tone the prints you may not want to use the tea! Try using a
thiocarbimide toner with the work and see what you think. It is a bleach/
redevelop toner, a variation of sepia. It's main advantage is that by
altering the two stock solutions in making to working formula you can
greatly effect the color of the sepia - from a warm yellow (a la tea toning,
I suspect) to a cool purple-sepia.

You may need to give up some insistence on achieving a pre-conceived effect
with all this, Don. Toning for visual effects is more "you get what you
get." Personally, if I knew ahead of time what the image is going to look
like - I wouldn't bother to do it....

Good luck.

Cheers - Jon
www.jonathan-bailey.com