Re: Thomas Struth show and prints on plexiglass

From: Jack Fulton (jfulton@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Date: 06/17/02-07:29:56 AM Z

>> I don't know if this is a true alt-process question, but...
>>
>> I just saw a show in Dallas of Thomas Struth's photography. (You may have
>> read about this show in a recent issue of the New Yorker.) Some of the
>> prints are huge color prints printed on plexiglass, it appears. My partner
>> read somewhere in the exhibit that this is the case. I am wondering how
>> this is done. Is color emulsion "brushed" onto the plexiglass and then the
>> plexi/emulsion is exposed and developed like any other color print? Can
>> you "brush" other sorts of emulsions onto plexiglass?
>>
>> The black and white silver gelatin prints were really beautiful also. In
>> fact I liked them better than the color prints. They would have been great
>> in pt/pd, but you have to admit, sometimes silver gelatin has its
>> applications.
>>
>> --shannon

These prints, and others by German photographers, are mounted w/the
plexi-glas on the surface of the image. It is a unique process done in (I
believe) in either Dusseldorf or Frankfurt. As I understand it the process
is one that uses a high pressure and perhaps as Neil Oshima wrote, it might
be an aquarium sealant made of silicone.
  I learned this from the conservator @ the SFMOMA . . if I find out more,
I'll let you all know.
Jack Fulton