Re: Risk taking, was Re: photographic bleach

From: Bob and Carla (bb333@earthlink.net)
Date: 06/22/02-11:41:09 PM Z

Thanks Sam,
    Very interesting point! My premis comes from my work where a copy
of the original scan is kept intact and unchanged, not as a crutch,
but as a responsible work ethic. Whether you gain granularity by a
bleaching step, or you permanently change your color space by
correction in Photoshop, it's an act of responsibility to stand by
this protocol....whether it's Photoshop, or ferricyanide, the effects
are permanent. This is another example of the interesting bounderies
that digital options from commercial technologies affect the analog
alchemies that we embrace for our personal art....and 12 times out of
10, I'll cling to the mysteries of the analog options and the
mysterious when it comes to personal work.....but I was just trying to
encourage the scan as an consideration, because I've seen a digital
scan capture detail and smoothness and discrimination of tonality that
was neither discernable to the naked eye, or controlable by
photochemical means. You know that you will probably increase
graininess and lose a bit of filmspeed through a cutting process like
bleaching, but I acknowledge your point! I also have seen your
photography, and it's splendid! Buona fortuna!
Robert