Re: Story about One of the World's Oldest Surviving Photo

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 06/26/02-02:27:22 PM Z

> Most on this list (probably) know this:
>
> The front way in to the story is:
> http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news?p=1826+photograph&c=
>
> If you pardon my wrappage, the details are here:
> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=624&e=1&cid=624&u=/ap/2
> 0020626/ap_on_sc/oldest_photo_1
>
> I have been to the Harry Ransom Center and seen the origonal.
> It is exciting to view, knowing the uniqueness of it. Yet, it
> is difficult to see due to subdued lighting, thick theft proof
> glass (presenting glare) and the strange angles one must use
> to percieve anything. I snickered when several children (upon
> viewing the well processed reproduction sitting upright next to
> the origonal) remarked that THEY could have done better with
> their parents computer.

There are also some other bits to the story elsewhere on the web - and I
mention some of these in some of my history features, especially at
http://photography.about.com/library/weekly/aa011402d.htm

The Niepce museum site, http://www.niepce.com/home-us.html is another site
not to be missed.

I've never been fortunate enough to have seen the original, but the woman
who presented it to Gernsheim apparently had been unable to see any image
on it at all until he showed her.

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com