Re: coating glass for large negs?

From: Chuck D (fardog@mindspring.com)
Date: 06/26/02-06:48:03 PM Z

Stupid question mabye,

but where do you get 48 inch trays ? or 52 * 104 (* 3 or 4 trays) or is
there some essenstial space saving technique I have overlooked in this
process ?

Halvor
Tokyo

I use several techniques that work well.

you can use the roll method for really big prints. You roll the paper back
and forth in long narrow trays careful not to crease it. . you can either
pour out the chemistry and pour in a second chemical using the same tray
each time or use several narrow trays.. A quick drain can be used in the
bottom of the tray.
    Vertical Slot tanks can be used. These tanks are made out of plywood or
plastic sheeting { in the US it comes 48 inches x up to 120 inches and can
be joined if larger prints are wanted. The sheets are cut slightly larger
than the needed print size and spaced apart with a wooden or plastic spacer
only about 1 to 2 inches wide. { much like a single sheet vertical print
washer. } . There are also drums up to 40 x60 inches still around from the
old color printing days. For more money there are several types of 'crank on
roller' type of processors and I believe there is one of these types from
France that will do 15 foot prints.
The hardest problem is washing properly....slot type washers are for me the
easiest.
    and then there is the sneaky way where you send your neg to a custom
lab! LOL!!
    There are many other ways to go at it ...even some that require dark
nights and plastic sheeting on the ground and mops full of chemicals. :o)

Chuck