Re: seriously folks...little holes in negatives?

From: S Wang (stwang@direcTVinternet.com)
Date: 06/27/02-11:14:34 AM Z

>Thanks for all these ideas. I think you are right that it's probably
>particulate matter in the water or developer, or dust from the camera. I
>will go clean my camera right now!
>
>--shannon

Shannon,

No matter how much and how carefully you dust, tiny particles WILL
settle on your sheet film during exposure, and usually on a clear sky
area (see Ted Orland's famous quote).

One place in the holder that's hard to get the dust out is the light
trap where the dark slide enters the holder - felt or cloth used
there tend to trap dust and lint, and release them onto your film
when you expose that once-in-a-lifetime shot.

Many experienced large format users shoot double, especially when the
scene is not repeatable, partly to insure against processing errors
and partly to guard against dust. With Polaroid 55 and Kodak's Ready
Load, dust problem is lessened but nothing is 100% dust-proof.

That's another reason to avoid plain skies and shoot many textured
surfaces - paraphrasing Fredrick Sommers. Mechanical and technical
matters do affect aesthetics.

Sam