C80/dig negatives

From: Larry Roohr (lrryr@attbi.com)
Date: 06/30/02-09:02:36 AM Z

An FYI to digital negative makers.

I've had very little luck making inkjet negatives I've been completely happy
with despite a good bit of effort over the last few years, and am always a
little skeptical hearing of others successes.

I just made the best digital negative yet (for me) with a C80 I picked up on
Epay last week to print snapshots for my wife on. There seem to be plenty of
them available for ~$100 each, new in the box, with the warranty.

It seems the 2880 dpi is a major improvement over the 1440 dpi of the 1160
printer I was using with a zero dot gain material like pictorico. Also the
curve needed to smooth out the response on the pictorico OHP is very, very
tame compared to what I had with Epson dye inks and the peizography inks in
the past, seems the Epson pigment inks do much better. These have been my
two biggest problems with the process.

I'm able to get a good 1.3 density units measured on my densitometer and get
full scale ziatypes with a 18afo/15Lipd/3gold mixture on Rives BFK prep'ed
with Stuart Melvin's oxalic acid treatment for his gum over platinum
process.

As Bart Simpson would say...WOOOOHOOOO.

Larry