The Impress Signature -- was the future of handmade

From: Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 03/11/02-09:45:33 AM Z

Which is why I propose the "impress signature." This was and is still done
by many printmaking ateliers. The artist producing the image signs the
print on the left and the printer on the right by her full name followed
with "imp." The imp. stands for impress and means "printed by."

I have a small collection of the "Ashcan School" lithographic artist George
Bellows, some are signed "imp." by Bolton Brown and some by Peggy Bacon.
Both Brown and Bacon were lithographic artists in their own right but they
had also mastered the fine art of pulling a lithographic print and had the
equipment to do so. To my knowledge Bellows never printed any of his own work.

Now in the case of the artist pulling his own print the standard was it was
to remain without an "imp." signature but in the photo world the absence of
the "imp." is not an accurate notice that the print was printed by the
artist nor is it, I believe, an accurate notice that it was there either.

I propose that those who print their own work use the "imp." abbreviation
followed by their initials as it would be a bit much to sign it in full
twice but a separate printer should sign it in full with the "imp." following.

Much of alternative photography resembles printmaking more than the
"enlarging technology" that has been the tradition of photography for the
last 100 years.
You would think atelier printers would gain some benefit from this but I
have seen some resistance from their clients who wish to create the
illusion that they themselves in fact printed the work. I once overheard
one big timer at an opening taking to a group about printing work I knew
was not printed by the speaker.

--Dick Sullivan

Cross posted to:

http://sirius.secureforum.com:8080/~bostick/login