Re: Gum discovery by S. Melvin -- maybe

From: Gregory W. Blank (gblank@bellatlantic.net)
Date: 03/12/02-12:23:17 AM Z

on 3/11/02 5:21 PM, Richard Sullivan at richsul@earthlink.net wrote:

> Greg,
>
> Santa Fe probably has the greatest density per population of serious alt
> photographers than any place on earth. For a town of 65,000 we have perhaps
> 100 down-and-dirty alt types and that is not counting the 100's of serious
> silver printers. It has been then home of many famous photographers and
> curators from Ernest Knee to Caponigro, Porter, Newhall, Coke, Enyeart,
> Eugenia Parry, Yates et al. We also have a number of Guggenheim recipients
> living here as well.
>
> I am myself a transplanted Angeleno and like the atmosphere here which is
> more laid back than Elay was. People here are also more accessible than
> they are in NYNY or other big cities.
>
> Come and visit. Bring money. Pay sales tax. We love visitors.
>
> --Dick

Elliot Porter was the first photographer, I sent my portfolio to... he of
course lived in New Mexico and it was part of the reason I went there two
years ago. I loved it my dad was ill at the time or I probably would have
stayed. One of the color photographs I took on that trip was selected
shortly after he pasted away that year for inclusion in the Maryland
contemporary artist exhibit at our governors residence. The image by the way
was of Rancho De Taos Mission Church.

Thanks for the invite. I really liked the people out there too, I used to
talk with the guys from Camera and Darkroom in Albuquerque when I worked for
Omega. They were alot of help in renting some equipt and getting logistical
advice,....especially concerning Carne Adovada? :-)