Re: Thick Carbon Tissue Gelatin Pours

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 03/15/02-12:50:35 PM Z

John,

I am using regular wood frames 3/4" thick X 1 1/2" wide. What I do to
prevent the gelatin running under the frame is the following.

1. I taped a gasket around the frame opening. This consists of a
piece of the thick double sided adhesive. Just leave the cover on the
outside. There may be better materials out there for this purpose but
I used the tape because it was on hand and has worked satisfactorily
so far.

2. Place a piece of wood, say about 3/4" thick by 6" wide by the
necessary length, over the frame, and weigh it down with a gallon jug
of water.

I have found that the use of a gasket in conjunction with weighing
down the frame keeps all but a very small amount of pigmented gelatin
contained in the pond.

BTW, I have found that using the frame is a very efficient. I have
made three of the frames each for 7X17 and 12X20 tissues, each for
making two sheets of tissue at the same time. That is, the inside
diameter of the 7X17 frame is actually about 16X19" and the 12X20
about 14X22". Basically I just set up the three frames side by side
on my coating table, pour in the pigmented gelatin, spread it and
then lightly mist with alcohol to get rid of air bubbles, weight it
down, and go on to the next one. Takes me less than five minutes to
coat 6 sheets of 12X20, which is very efficient by my standards. I
have to wait about 15 minutes for the pigmented gelatin to set
sufficiently to lift it up and place on a drying rack, then I can
continue with the coating of new tissues. With this method I can
easily pour 2000ml of pigmented gelatin within a period of 30-40
minutes.

Sandy King