Light source for big prints

From: Keith Gerling (keithgerling@att.net)
Date: 03/19/02-12:07:48 PM Z

Currently, I use a bank of Sylvania 20w Black light bulbs, which
provide coverage for 22x30 in prints. As I now have a need to print 30x40,
I am considering alternatives. One option would be to go to another light
source (yard lights, etc.) but I am concerned about lengthy exposure times.
As I am comfortable with using the flourescent source, I am wondering if
there might be a way to build a larger light bank using 22 inch bulbs. My
question: if I were to line up two banks side-by-side, and stagger them by 4
inches like this:

                                       etc,

what are the chances that the gap between banks (approx 2 1/2 inches) would
be "filled in" and not effect the print. Currently, the print is about 4
inches from the light source.

I'd appreciate any other ideas.

Keith