APIS 13 and 14 July 2002 at Bradford.

From: Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 03/20/02-09:35:02 AM Z

ALTERNATIVE PHOTOGRAPHY INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM

I have circulated an outline programme for APIS at the National Museum of
Photography on Saturday 13 and Sunday 14 July. What we have so far looks
pretty good. We need to know soon how many people would be interested in:

1. Coming to APIS

2. Showing their work.

3. Giving a presentation

4. Playing a part in organising the event, (the main organisers at the
moment are Terry King FRPS and Dick Sullivan Hon FRPS of Santa Fe).

We need to know now as the organisers will only enter into financial
commitments if the demand is likely to be sufficent to cover the costs. As
there is a limited number of places, those who prebook now will be given
priority.

>Alternative Processes International Symposium.

To be held on the 13th and
>14th July at the National Museum of Photography Film and Television,
>Bradford, England.
>
>APIS has now become an international event for photographers working in
>hand coated and alternative processes. APIS stands for "Alternative
>Photography International Symposium." The first formal APIS was held in
>Bath, England in 1997. Subsequently there has been symposiums held in
>Santa Fe under the auspices of Bostick & Sullivan in 1999 and 2001 and
>informal events in bath in 1998 and 2000. An APIS is
>being "contemplated" for the Continent in 2004 perhaps in Oslo, and one is
>scheduled for Santa Fe in 2003. The feedback from all previous APISs has
>been extremely positive and enthusiastic.
>
>These events include presentations and demonstrations from experts in the
>field over a two day period on the art and technology of alternative
>photography. There is nowhere else where one can see hear and touch what
>is happening now in hand coated photography.
>
>Though the fee has not been set yet the likely fee for attending the APIS
>symposium will be in the region of sixty pounds (UK), ninety Dollars (US)
>or ninety-five Euros. This will include

1. the APIS programme at the National
>Museum,

2. lunch and refreshments
>during the symposium,

3. a dinner at an Elizabethan manor house

4. and
>a record of the symposium in a special edition of the PhotoHistorian.
>
>The Museum has arranged discounts with four hotels in the area and there
>are plenty of inexpensive but good bed and breakfast places.
>
>The National Museum itself has one of the world's finest collections of
>photographs and photographic equipment including Fox Talbot's camera on
>with which the first ever negative was taken and the world's first
>television cameras . Special tours will be made of the collections where
>the finest examples of original 'alternative' photography can be seen from
>as far back as the 1840s. Seeing the best gives you something to aim for.
>Special arrangements will be made for those with specific research interests.

The
>city limits of Bradford include the "Bronte Country", remember the
>Brandtphotographs, while the city is close to many places of great beauty
>and historic interest such as the city of York. A special tour can be
>arranged.
>
>Arrangements have already be made to include the following in APIS:

1. the first opportunity to see "alternative photography" using light
>sensitive polymers rather than dichromates,

2. gum over platinum and platinum over gum,

3. the new manufacture of carbon tissues,

4. latest developments in digital practice in relation to alternative
>processes

5. A nineteenth century process which gives photographs in full natural
>colour.

6. Portfolio sessions where everyone will be able to show their
prints.There will also be a special portfolio area.

7. A demonstratiuon of the oleobron process.

>8. A group calotype
>
>and more.

If you want to attend or wish to make a presentation yourself please
>contact Terry King FRPS as soon as possible at: terryaking@cs.com.

There is no obligation at this stage but we need to have a
>firm idea as to numbers as there is a limited number of places at the
>conference. Those who 'prebook' now will have priority.

Terry King

www.hands-on-pictures.com for pictures and process
http://sirius.secureforum.com:8080/~bostick for moderated photo history and
alt lists
1. An excellent thing is as rare as it is difficult.(Spinoza)
2. A man's reach should be beyond his grasp or what's a heaven for.(Browning)
3. Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora.(Occam's Razor)
(Keep it simple !)