Re: Measuring

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/20/02-03:06:51 PM Z

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, alnovo@inwind.it wrote:

> Those "watch glasses" are used because one can wash them while
> transferring the chemical to the vessel, to be sure that truly *all* the
> weighted substance goes into the solution. This is particularly needed
> for an exact weighting, such as for very small amounts.

You mean WASH glasses? You sluice the chemical off with water?.. that
sounds, um ... messy? & what if you only want a little water? Or alcohol?

Of course the difficulty in getting the chemical off that round surface,
especially into something narrower than it is (I often transfer into a
graduate, for instance), would more than cancel out any supposed
advantage. Transfer from round without a spout shape is another accident
waiting to happen.

I agree otherwise, except about the kitchen aluminum foil -- too likely to
crinkle & hold powder...

Judy